Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Winter Duel"

This work is a print from an etching I did for my printmaking class in 2007.
My process of creating this piece was that I started by sketching trying to think of an idea, I created the winged character wielding the sword first, then I created the staff of the figure on the left. Then I created the town below in my sketch and added the moon lastly. I transferred the sketch onto the surface of a the wax covered metal plate using tracing paper. Then I began scratching out the design using a sharp metal stylus. After that the plate was dipped into acid and the design was burned into the metal plate and it was ready to cover with ink and use for printing.

I enjoy printmaking very much. When I was thinking of what kind of design to do I was inspired by the change of seasons, at the time it was the end of fall and winter was beginning. The figure on the right represents the season of fall and the figure on the left represents the season of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment